Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mei Ji Fishball Noodles *not bad*

Mei Ji Fish Ball Noodles

Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Blk163 Bukit Merah Central S(150163)
#02-03
- fish ball noodles
- wholesale premium fish balls
- prawn ball soup
- fuzhou fish balls

Fish ball noodles have always been one of my favourite foods.  No, not the bak chor mee, or stall that sells bak chor mee/fish ball noodles.  I am quite particular about this.  Must be a stall that only sells fish ball noodles.

I grew up eating fishball noodles, with my favourite at joo seng, then subsequently, toa payoh, some food republic food courts and lorong ah soo.

Why must only sell fish ball?  Because I don't like too much vinegar.

Also, I am super particular about beansprouts with my noodles.  I simply cannot stand having fish ball noodles with beansprouts.  Don't get me wrong, I do eat beansprouts.  But somehow I find that beansprouts add a certain raw taste to the noodles.  And I think I am like the only person who is ok with beansprouts yet is particular about this.

Finally, I mostly eat mee kia dry.  Some people might think, why mee kia?  Why not mee pok?  I used to not understand why too, but I've realised that mee kia is less susceptible to being overcooked and thus becoming soggy.  Whereas mee pok generally turns out soggy, and is more slippery (no idea why, perhaps due to the way it is made, or maybe because the surface area bigger and thus more oil on it).  Probably the only time when I'll have mee pok is when the place is famous for mee pok, ie. Ru Ji Kitchen at Holland Drive Market.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This soup says it sells premium fish balls, prawn balls, and fuzhou fish balls.  Well, if given a choice, its fish balls for me any day!  But i'd definitely like to try the fuzhou versions one day.

For people who don't know, fuzhou fish balls are generally bigger than normal fish balls, and have some minced meat in the middle.  So when you bite on the fish balls, you will get fish meat and of course, minced pork meat.



Anyways;


The stall owner got my order wrong.  I was given mee pok instead of mee kia, thus minus points liao.  Haha no la, im still quite fair.  I didn't ask for a change though.



I thought that the soup was tasty.  I'm sure it wasn't because of too much MSG, but the soup has a fried onion taste that I like.  The soup also looks somewhat oily; I'm guessing some people can't stand it.  But I can! ^_^

The noodles felt somewhat tasteless in my opinion.  The chilli was spicy, but lacked the taste.  I thought it might be they were weaker on the light soy sauce side.

The texture of the fish balls didn't meet my expectations too.  The external texture felt rough.  Personally, the most important part of the fish ball is the taste; it should feel slightly salty and have the taste of the fish (note, not the fishy taste).  I think the stall lacked it in this department.

I am not commenting on fish cakes because I do not like fish cakes.  I eat, but I just don't like it.

Finally, the Prawn Balls.  It was nice!!! Everything I'd ask for!  Had the taste and the texture!  Like!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I'd rate this not bad.  It's definitely alright, in my opinion.  And if not for the prawn balls I think I would have prolly rated this ..... instead of not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment