Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lai Hin Fish Ball Kway Teow Mee *potential favourite*

Lai Hin Fish Ball Kway Teow Mee
#02-11
Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Blk 163 Bukit Merah Road
S(150163)
- Fish ball noodles

I was super looking forward to review this stall! Why? Because I tried it before I thought of reviewing the whole food centre, and I really really really really liked it!

I reviewed 2 other fish ball noodles stalls prior to re-trying this again, and I have mentioned before the stalls that I like, so I'm not gonna re-mention those again.

But this stall is definitely a potential favourite!! I was really glad to have found this stall!

I think the stall owner either has superbly dry skin or may have some skin conditions; her skin was a little flaking.  But I have no issues with that.  In fact, the successor of my favourite satay bee hoon stall has some skin problems too if i recall correctly.

Oh, the first time I visited this stall was about 11.30am.  I think they just opened, I was 2nd in queue, but I was not the 2nd to be served.  Why?  Because apparently, there were like 6 people who were queuing even before this stall opened!!  That really made me curious about it.  And boy, I wasn't disappointed!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Yes, from the picture, because of the minced meat, you might mistaken it as bak chor mee.  But no.  It is fishball noodles.  And it tastes like the type that I love.

If my food is served with soup, I do have a habit of tasting the soup first before eating the dish.

So, the soup for this is great!  It was super tasty!  A little oily for my liking, but I'm not complaining!  There were bits of fried onion in the soup too!  Nice!!

Traditionally, fishball noodles were served with the sauce below the noodles, and you have to flip/mix the noodles yourself.  I don't remember who or when it started where the cook will help you flip/mix the noodles with the sauce, but regardless, I still do it myself.  Not only to create a more even mix, but also to separate the noodles.

And for this stall, the vinegar smell rose up when I was flipping the noodles.  And was it fragrant!!  Ok, I do detest stalls that have excessive vinegar, but this was ok!

The mee kia was excellent too!!  Dry and cooked well!!  So much so that it even reminded me of the Joo Seng Fish ball noodles that I grew up eating!

The chilli wasn't that spicy, and was good.  So goes for the minced meat.  That I thought I could even enjoy a bowl of minced meat on its own!

The fish ravioli even tasted similar to the one at joo seng!!!  I always thought the one at joo seng was hand made though, so for all I know, both might be getting from the same supplier haha!

Finally, the only disappointing part about this meal was that I felt that the fishball was a little bland.  Not tasty enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, this stall is definitely a potential favourite.  I would highly recommend this to people who love fish ball noodles!!

And if my favourite stalls start retiring one by one, this might well become my favourite fish ball noodles stall!!


No comments:

Post a Comment