Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lim Soon Li *not bad*

Lim Soon Li
Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Blk 163 Bukit Merah Road
S(150163)
#02-31
- Nasi Lemak
- Laksa
- Prawn Noodle
- Mee Siam

I think it's pretty obvious to us Singaporeans that Nasi Lemak in Singapore is divided into three types.
1. Traditional, banana leaf wrapped nasi lemak.
2. Chinese style nasi lemak.
3. Malay nasi lemak.

I'm not going to explain too much into the difference; I'm assuming people reading this are Singaporeans.

And as a reference:  I've never been into the traditional type.  Yes, it does remind me of the good ol days, but that's about it.

As for Chinese style, I do like Chong Pang Nasi Lemak for the ingredients that they serve, especially the chicken wings.  Also, I do like Punggol Nasi Lemak for the fragrant rice and their chilli.  Finally, a special mention to Hong Ni Kitchen.  I like that place, though I've only been once.  And would definitely want to go back again for more!.

As for Malay style, there are two places I like.  The Adam Road, stall no. 2 Nasi Lemak, for its rice!  Also, Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak, not because it is good or what, but because it accompanied me for a good 6 months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This stall, well, I'd say there's nothing much to rave about.  The rice is ok, as it has the coconut taste, though I found it abit bland.

The chilli had a more after-taste type of feel.  A little spicy initially, but felt more and more spicy after awhile.  A little like wasabi, where you don't taste much initially, but after awhile it gets to you.

The ngoh hiang was acceptable by my standards.

No comments on the fried chicken though.  Seemed like it was seasoned with the yellow thing, I'm not sure what it is called.  But I'm sure people will understand when I mention that the seasoning is the same as that being used for the fried fish in the traditional banan leaf wrapped nasi lemak.

Finally, the luncheon meat was surprisingly nice!! It may have looked dry, but it was crispy on the outside and moist on the inside!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For now, I'd rate this a not bad.  Of course, I'd review it again once I have tried the other foods that this stall offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment