Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lim Kee *not bad* EDITED

Lim Kee
Bukit Merah Food Centre
Blk 163 Bukit Merah Road S(150163)
#02-49
- fried carrot cake (white)
- fried carrot cake (black)
- chwee kuey
- soon kuey
- Char kway teow

- I think this stall closes after lunch time.

Long time ago, I had a conversation regarding fried carrot cake with my father.  I don't exactly remember how and what, but I remember back then (and it was a long..long...time ago), I preferred the black version while my dad preferred the white.  And I do vaguely remember why the conversation begun was because we had a plate of chai tou kway that looked like the black version yet tasted a little salty.

And it was then I concluded that IMO, black chai tao kway should be sweet, and white chai tao kway should be salty.

Fast forward years to now, I'm a convert.  Given a choice, I'd choose the white one any day.  Having said that, I guess I can partly blame the Bukit Timah Chai Tao Kway for popularising the white version .  Plus its really quite hard to find a good black version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Lim Kee Chai Tao Kway.  Touted as 10 best Chai Tao Kway, as displayed by some certificate at the stall.


The moment I saw it I was impressed.  It totally differed from the contemporary chai tao kway!  Contemporary chai tao kway somehow is cooked like omelette style, where its chopped kway fried with stirred eggs into big chunks.

But this isn't!!!  And I thought this is how chai tao kway should traditionally look like!!! Win!



Take a closer look!  Win!

I like the taste.  It just feels traditional.

For the first time too, I could really taste how the carrot cake felt like.  But then again I rarely attempt to take note of the taste LOL.  And *disclaimer* I meant I could really taste how the white chunks of carrot cake tasted like.  Not how the whole plate tasted like.  Argh I'm not making sense, am I?

The cake tasted nice, it felt a little tough and wasn't soggy.  Full of flavour that is!

The overall combination was just good.  I have no idea what the green vegetables used was, but I felt that it blended well!  Probably that was why I thought it felt traditional!

As I said, this wasn't the contemporary type, where it was omelette style and where the egg was fried till crispy.

My first bite, I first tasted the chilli, which wasn't too spicy.  Then the fried egg.  Then the texture of the egg.  Then the chye poh that was used.  And finally, the flavour of the cake.

With a tinge of after taste making you crave for more.

Personally, I've never really liked to eat the cake chunks without the eggs.  But for this, I was actually looking forward to consuming the cake chunks alone.  Just so I can get to experience the taste again!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I'd say this would be a potential favourite for the white version.

Not only because of the fact that it was more traditional, but also the overall taste.

I'll definitely try the black version soon!



*edited.  I have downgraded this stall to an overall *not bad*.

Click here for the reason why I downgraded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment