Thursday, November 1, 2012

Soon Huat Mixed Vegetable Rice *not bad*

Soon Huat Mixed Vegetable Rice
Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Blk 163 Bukit Merah Road S(150163)
#02-04

First off, I find it hard to judge mixed veg rice.  I mean, how to?  If the mixed veg rice sells sweet and sour pork, should I compare it to all sweet and sour pork?  Or other mixed veg rice that sells sweet and sour pork?

Having said that, I'll just judge with regards to other mixed veg rice stalls.

Also, I generally avoid mixed veg rice stalls.  Not that I don't eat at all, just that it will probably be the last option.   Unless the food looks superbly great, or it is convenient, or it has minced meat balls (like those at hainanese curry rice stalls).

Well, because I do want to review every stall, and plus the fact that my friend loves mixed veg rice, and that she must have curry chicken, enough said.

One thing for sure, the queue is definitely there for this stall.  I was like the 7th or 8th in queue despite going for lunch at 11.30am.   So it kinda made me wonder if this stall was really good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I ordered 3 meat (normally 2, but deciced to try curry chicken, as influenced by my friend) and 1 vegetable, and it was $4.  I have to say, the plate they use is unique!  Unlike most stalls that just serve you on a round plate.

The rice was abit on the hard side, but I could live with it as they were generous with the curry.  And I felt this way not because I ordered curry chicken and they gave me more curry.  Everyone else had a fair amount of curry too!

And I like my rice more "wet", so this is a plus!

There are some mixed veg rice stalls that come across as not putting enough effort into cooking, and I'm glad to say this is not one of them.

The sweet and sour pork was pretty ok.  Curry tasted standard, and slightly on the spicy side.  The vegetables (erm, broccoli and cauliflower?  Ok I'm super bad with my vegetables and I only started eating veg in my twenties.)

The ngoh hiang tasted nothing like what I'd like...but then again, I shouldn't compare to proper ngoh hiang stalls.  Either way, I ate this a few days back and I can't remember how it taste like.  So I guess it's not worth mentioning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, it's really not bad.  As I've mentioned, it's really hard to judge mixed veg rice, but I find that this, overall, is one of the better ones I've had.  The other two better ones are at Boon Keng, and at Dover, the same coffee shop as the XO fish head bee hoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment