Monday, October 29, 2012

Soon Li Huat Economical Bee Hoon/Nasi Lemak *nice*

Soon Li Huat Economical Bee Hoon/Nasi Lemak

Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Block 163 Bukit Merah Central S(150163)

#02-08
- economical fried bee hoon
- economical nasi lemak

This stall was open for breakfast too, and I see it as a direct competitor to Hup Kee Delicious Food.

I thought Hup Kee was better, as I always spot queues at Hup Kee in the morning, whereas the queues for Soon Li Huat wasn't that long.

Until one day, I realised that my observations were abit off - people were queuing for this stall too!  Hence I thought I should try this for breakfast too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



And boy, was I largely surprised!!!

The bee hoon was nice!  It had this sesame oil taste, and I sometimes a sucker for foods that have a douse of sesame oil (less sesame oil chicken), thus this suited my taste.  Of course, needless to say, the bee hoon was not rubbery; else I'd have condemned it.

Next up, the huge surprise.  The fried kway teow!  The kway teow tasted like just how I'd love my hor fun to be!!  Yes, you might not see the link, but I find that hor fun tastes best when the kway teow has been fried prior, and it should look dark, like in this photo.  Of course, I guess using the same kway teow as hor fun did add on to the taste; big pieces instead of those normal fried kway teow or the kway teows of fishball noodle stalls.

Unfortunately, the chicken wing and the luncheon meat had nothing good to comment on.  Minimal acceptable standards, I guess.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I rate it nice because I really liked the kway teow and the bee hoon.  I like it so much that I even thought adding chilli to the meal was an insult to the kway teow.  And I'm thinking the morning breakfast queues are probably split into 2 because of the preferences for either better tasting bee hoon/kway teow or ingredients.

I should also make a disclaimer that some stalls have problems maintaining consistency in their tastes, like the Holland Village Economical Bee Hoon, thus I can't guarantee that this will always taste the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment