Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hup Kee Delicious Food *not bad*

Hup Kee Delicious Food
Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Block 163 Bukit Merah Central S(150163)
#02-15
- Economic Bee Hoon
- Porridge
- Chee Cheong Fun
- *supposedly* Claypot Rice

When I first came up with the idea of this blog, I wanted to try and blog the stalls in order, ie. stall 1 to stall 80.  However, Hup Kee Delicious Food was the very first that I tried out, so I thought, why not?

So, my first morning at my new work place, and I walked all the way to Jalan Bukit Merah Central Food Centre for breakfast.  I first noticed that there was a long queue at this stall already.  Unsure whether to try it out immediately, I walked around the Food Centre and noticed that this was the only stall that had a long queue, despite having about another 2 stalls that sold similar economic bee hoon.  And this seemed like the only stall that sells chee cheong fun and porridge for breakfast.

On a side note, this place seems to be opened mainly for breakfast; it does not display much food during lunch time, and seems like they'll juz stay opened until the porridge sells out or something.

*The photo taken was not on the first visit though*

My standard orders will be bee hoon + kway teow, chicken wing, eggs, and luncheon meat.  Decided not to order eggs, as I'll prolly be saving the weekly eggs budget for brunch/scrambled eggs.



First impression was that this is definitely one of the better beehoon/kway teow combi.  

First, the kway teow.  I thought it was cooked just nice; the level of saltiness (saltiness, for me, kind of defines taste.  I noticed some years back that the better the food tasted, the saltier it is.  Of course, I'll always point out if the food was too salty) was about right for my taste buds.  Also, they did not use standard kway teow I think; they used the type for hor fun, whereby it comes in big pieces, and is thicker than the normal kway teow.  

Next, the bee hoon.  Well, nothing really spectacular about the bee hoon; it tastes just alright to me (the last two times I felt that economic fried bee hoon tastes great were from the stalls at boon keng, selling chee cheong fun, and the holland village food centre one, which has this chao tar taste to it.)  

The luncheon meat was of acceptable standard, or at least, this is the bare minimum on how luncheon meats should taste like.  Salty.  Most economic bee hoons have almost tasteless luncheon meat (think it's due to the brand they use?), are either cut too thin, or the meat texture is like...non-luncheon meat.  This one, I thought the size was just nice.  Nothing to really pick on.  

Finally, the chicken wing.  I like the seasoning, and it does still tastes somewhat juicy despite being displayed for awhile.  Of course, its a little soggy, but you can't really compare a economic bee hoon fried chicken wing with a freshly fried chicken wing. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I thought the the economic bee hoon for this stall was pretty decent, which explains the queue.  And as I was eating it, I thought to myself "yes, finally a stall that has not bad fried kway teow.  I won't be missing the Holland Village Economic Bee Hoon any time soon." 


No comments:

Post a Comment