Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Red Hill Porridge *favourite* - LOVE AT FIRST BITE!

Red Hill Porridge
#01-90
Red Hill Food Centre
85 Redhill Lane
S(150085)
- pork porridge
- fish porridge
- pork and fish porridge
- raw fish yu sheng

Mon-Fri
5.30am to 8.30am

(In any case, I'm sure that this porridge is already famous to begin with.  I won't be surprised if there are tons of reviews on this)

I don't remember being a porridge person.  I do have places I like though, like the Clementi central one (for the traditional taste), the Zhen Zhen porridge at Maxwell (for the yu sheng haha), and the one at Chinatown...I don't remember the name or even if the stall is still there.

In fact, my uncle recommended me to zhen zhen, and I kinda got hooked onto the yu sheng since then. 

Also, I do like the Sinma Frog Leg Porridge too.

Anyways, a few days back I decided to try my luck with chee cheong fun at Redhill Market, and I saw that at 7.45am in the morning, one porridge stall had like 8 people queuing, so I told myself that I'll be back.


And I was.

And I was shocked.  At around 7.50am, I was like the 29th in the queue!!!!  And even when I was served, there was like another 15 people waiting behind me!!!

And boy, did I NOT regret queuing!!!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


*I'm not a photograph person.  And obviously I do regret the seat that I chose, as you can see the shadows still there*

Being greedy, I ordered pork porridge, added egg, and a place of yusheng.

IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST BITE.

The porridge was SUPER thick, SUPER tasty!!!  After the first bite, I really spent some time deliberating if I should add more soy sauce to further enhance the taste.  But, I didn't, as I felt that the taste was just toooooooo good to eat it on its own!!!

It was so thick...even thicker than cantonese style porridge.  And maybe thicker than frog leg porridge!!  The smoothness wasn't as smooth at cantonese style porridge, but to me, it doesnt matter.  To me, porridge is about the taste, not the smoothness.  If a porridge was to be judged in terms of smoothness, then the one at Clementi would have failed terribly.



I then tried the yu sheng, which I thought was standard.  Nothing really special, and I do think I'd still prefer Zhen Zhen's yu sheng.

The more I ate the porridge, the more I loved it!!!


*From the photo, some parts of the porridge looks like there's this transparent water thing.  Which, happens to be the egg white.


Then came the mixing of the egg with the porridge.  Which gave me a little mixed feelings.

Why?

The first bite after mixing the egg, I immediately regretted!!  I couldn't get back the original taste!!!  ARGH!

But I was super amazed - most porridges, after mixing the egg, would just give a different taste which is a combination of egg and porridge (ok I can't find a better phrase to describe, but what I'm trying to say is that when mixed, most porridges would just give another taste.)

BUT NOT THIS!  The mix of the porridge and egg was something I've never experienced before!  Where the yolk's distinct taste not only blended with the porridge, it gave off a triple layered taste!  I could taste the yolk, the porridge, and then the mixed taste!

Excellent!!!

And that's how the mixed feelings came about.  I lost the the original taste of the porridge, but I found something that was on par!

The more I ate this mixture, the more I loved it!!!

The ingredients?

SUPERB.  EXCELLENT!  AWESOME!!!

The Clementi porridge, despite having the same ingredients, doesn't really bother with the texture of the ingredients.  ie.  the liver is overly though, the pork slices isn't tender.

This stall is just different!!

Liver was awesome!  Tender!  Cooked to perfection IMHO!  A little cooked on the outside and totally tender on the inside!!  Like the chef purposely cooked it a little raw, and let the warmth of the porridge do the rest of the work!

Pork slices?  Tender!  Tasty!

Pork balls?  Nice!!!

What's left, would be to see if the level of MSG used was insane to make it tasty. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my verdict?

FAVOURITE!

LOVE AT FIRST BITE!
I have never been so awed by a simple bowl of pork porridge.  I am now a convert, though it will be really difficult to find the time to eat this again due to the unfavourable opening hours.  Oh wait.  I just mentioned crap.  Because my favourite kway chup opens around the same time too and it's even further for me to travel LOL.





I super regret ordering the $2 one.  I SHOULD HAVE ORDERED $3!!!
In fact, what I did notice is that they do sell plain porridge on its own; the ah pek before me ordered $3 and requested for a $1 extra porridge.  Maybe I'll do just that next time!! 


And lastly, I can safely say that it is not MSG that makes the porridge so tasty!  I did not feel thirsty immediately after that, and my lips did not crack (my lips will crack if too much MSG used.)

I'LL BE BACK!

1 comment: