Monday, December 3, 2012

Mei Ren Yu Yong Tau Foo *nice*

Mei Ren Yu Yong Tau Foo
#02-52
Bukit Merah Central Food Centre
Blk 163 Bukit Merah Road
S(150163)
- yong tau foo (obviously)
- laksa sauces


Not that I've never been a fan of yong tau foo (ytf for short), and not that I'm particular about ytf. 

There was, however, a period of time, when I thought that ytf was the healthiest food served at food centres, and I was quite hooked onto it.  Not that I like the taste, but more like it was healthy. 

In fact, my favourite ytf was the one that used to be at the kopitiam at Bedok Bus Interchange that sold $0.20 per piece.  And mine was like $4.80 LOL.

Anyways, for ytf, I normally look out for 1 thing:


The soup (do I see soy beans?  Does it taste of soy beans?  Or is it msg filled?). 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


If there was an option for a dry version or a soup version, 90% of the time I'd go for the dry version.  It's just a personal preference, and once again, I did go for the dried version.  And for ytf, I usually request for both the chilli and sweet sauces to be added. 


I probably mentioned this before, that I'd usually try the soup first before tasting the main dish.  And for this, I did like the soup.  It was somewhat salty, with a little soy bean taste.  And it didn't feel all MSG filled, so I thought this was pretty good already.








Then to the noodles and ingredients proper.


There wasn't anything special with the noodles, it was just normal, what you'd expect from any other ytf stalls.

Ingredients-wise, I thought it was a little more impressive.
First thing, this stall is a little more expensive than others I'd say.  It was $0.50 per piece.  HOWEVER, the good thing is that you can choose a minimum of 4 pieces, which is definitely better than normal ytf stalls, where they require minimum of 6 pieces.

The spread was normal, but why I said it was a little more impressive was that it had luncheon meat and fried chicken to choose from. 



And the best part?  The fried pieces that you choose from are served, not by dumping everything into soup and heating it up, but they really deep fry these pieces! 

Thus, the tao gua (tofu) really tasted nice!!  I felt that it was fried nicely and tasted good.  The external skin was crispy, while the inside of the tao gua was soft and nice!

Finally, I thought the sauces were ok.  The chilli was a little spicy for ytf standards, but I could still catch the taste of the sweet sauce. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taste is ok overall, but im biased. Im rating this nice, for the effort put in frying the fried ingredients rather than dumping into soup and "heating"

And obviously, food tastes better after being fried!

2 comments:

  1. well, as the name goes, im biased. and im impressed with the effort made la...

    ReplyDelete